Friday, October 2, 2009

Because of One Great Man


Today is the National Day of Non-Violence. This is because it is also the celebration of Gandhi's birth. Two great days in a row: yesterday was Vegetarianism day, and today this. Awesome. Gandhi was my first Hindu inspiration. As previously noted, I feel very connected with all things Indian, but as Indian culture is not very prominent in the States, I hadn't heard of this great man until I was in my teens. Now that I study Hinduism and Indian culture more academically, I have found it to be a pleasure to get to know this man more. The most beautiful part to me is that his message didn't die with him. Through his courage and efforts he is known, and thus his message is known. The UN recognized Gandhi's contribution to the world and has codified this day to be a national day of non-violence. I think he would be most pleased even if it is only one day. It is a start in the right direction.

No comments:

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers