Friday, July 10, 2009

Some Like it Tart

Seeing as how I've had such a rough week, I knew I had to do some baking to make things once again right with the world. Enter: My Famous Rhubarb Pie.

Now, most like strawberry rhubarb pies, but not this little red hen, oh no! Just delicious, tart, juicy rhubarb. For the crust, I consulted my lovely British mother-in-law for her wonderfully simple recipe (sorry, it's a secret. If I told you, I'd have to, well, you know...). The filling is also amazingly simple (the best pies are always the simple ones to make, if you ask me). Again, I can't give out the recipe. Well, OK, maybe I can... :)

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups chopped rhubarb
  • 1 1/3 cups white sugar
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle 1/4 of it over pastry in pie plate. Heap rhubarb over mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter. Cover with top crust.
  3. Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F, and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold
Verdict: criminally good!

No comments:

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers