Wednesday, December 16, 2009

CAPITALISM KILLS THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT

It's true, and I know this from both sides of the coin. Most prominently from behind the counter, as the working stiff who has to cater to the greedy hands of the buyers and the sellers. This is made manifest by having to work on Christmas Eve instead of being home with my family relaxing and enjoying their company. Working the day after Christmas - at 5:30 a.m. so people can rudely go out and return the gifts that they didn't like and buy yet even more shit they don't need.

And the same is true for another day of the year that I like to celebrate symbolically: New Year's Day. I'll be CLOSING on New Year's Eve and I'll be opening on New Year's Day - all instead of being home and celebrating the last day of this year and the first day of the new year. I am a somewhat sentimental person... I like the meaning behind these sorts of days and I like to be able to reflect upon an enjoy them. And now I can't, and it's all thanks to Capitalism.

Of course, this is just my little pity pot story - if you watch Michael Moore's new film Capitalism: A Love Story, you'll get a nice strong dose of the evils of capitalism on the grand scale. But for the everyday Judy, such as myself, enjoyment of life is extinguished.

Cry me a river, I know. But it's a noticeable result and I despise it.


And by the way, to the critics: yes, I too am a consumer. We all are. Every human being consumes, and we woud die if we didn't. I buy things I need. I buy things I don't need. Read my post again if you think I am a hypocrite, because what I am saying is that being held hostage to the demands of the general public and the money-grubbing of the capitalists behind the corporations and having to adjust my life and thus sacrafice the enjoyment of my life for this reason, is just the fucking pits. Period. Those of you who work retail know the woes of which I speak.

No comments:

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers